Opioids use after uro-oncologic surgeries in time of opioid crisis
Keywords:Opioids, Oncology, postoperative, Urology
Introduction: Recent literature emphasizes how over-prescription and lack of guidelines contribute to wide variation in opioid prescribing practices and opioid-related harms. We conducted a prospective, observational study to evaluate opioid prescriptions among uro-oncologic patients discharged following elective in-patient surgery.
Methods: Patients who underwent four surgeries were included: open retropubic radical prostatectomy, robot-assisted radical prostatectomy, laparoscopic radical nephrectomy, and laparoscopic partial nephrectomy. The primary outcome was the dose of opioids used after discharge (in oral morphine equivalents [MEq]). Secondary outcomes included: opioid requirements for 80% of the patients, management of unused opioids, opioid use three months postoperative, opioid prescription refills, and guidance about opioid disposal.
Results: Sixty patients were included for analysis. Patients used a mean of 30 MEq (95% confidence interval 17.8–42.2) at home and 80% of the patients used 50 MEq or less. A mean of 40.4 MEq per patient was over-prescribed. Fifty percent of the patients kept the remaining opioids at home, with only 20.0% returning them to their pharmacy. After three months, 5.0% of the patients were using opioids at least occasionally. Three patients needed a new opioid prescription. Forty percent reported having received information regarding management of unused opioids.
Conclusions: We found 60% of opioids prescribed were unused, with half of our patients keeping these unused tablets at home. Our results suggest appropriate opioid prescription amounts needed for urological cancer surgery, with 80% of the patients using 50 MEq or less of morphine equivalents.
How to Cite
You, the Author(s), assign your copyright in and to the Article to the Canadian Urological Association. This means that you may not, without the prior written permission of the CUA:
- Post the Article on any Web site
- Translate or authorize a translation of the Article
- Copy or otherwise reproduce the Article, in any format, beyond what is permitted under Canadian copyright law, or authorize others to do so
- Copy or otherwise reproduce portions of the Article, including tables and figures, beyond what is permitted under Canadian copyright law, or authorize others to do so.
The CUA encourages use for non-commercial educational purposes and will not unreasonably deny any such permission request.
You retain your moral rights in and to the Article. This means that the CUA may not assert its copyright in such a way that would negatively reflect on your reputation or your right to be associated with the Article.
The CUA also requires you to warrant the following:
- That you are the Author(s) and sole owner(s), that the Article is original and unpublished and that you have not previously assigned copyright or granted a licence to any other third party;
- That all individuals who have made a substantive contribution to the article are acknowledged;
- That the Article does not infringe any proprietary right of any third party and that you have received the permissions necessary to include the work of others in the Article; and
- That the Article does not libel or violate the privacy rights of any third party.