Adrenal artery pseudoaneurysm in pheochromocytoma presenting with catastrophic retroperitoneal hemorrhage
Keywords:pheochromocytoma, retroperitoneal hemorrhage, pseudoaneurysm, embolization
Spontaneous rupture of adrenal pheochromocytoma is an extremely rare condition which presents as an abdominal catastrophe. Unrecognized, this transformation can rapidly lead to death. We report a case of a 63-year-old gentleman who presented with hemorrhagic shock secondary to ruptured adrenal pheochromocytoma. The clinical course is notable for immediate trans-arterial catheter embolization (TAE) for control of bleeding, followed by optimization and elective adrenalectomy. High mortality is associated with an operative intervention in the face of an unrecognized pheochromocytoma. This reinforces the need for maintaining high index of suspicion in the setting of a suprarenal mass despite hypotension.
How to Cite
You, the Author(s), assign your copyright in and to the Article to the Canadian Urological Association. This means that you may not, without the prior written permission of the CUA:
- Post the Article on any Web site
- Translate or authorize a translation of the Article
- Copy or otherwise reproduce the Article, in any format, beyond what is permitted under Canadian copyright law, or authorize others to do so
- Copy or otherwise reproduce portions of the Article, including tables and figures, beyond what is permitted under Canadian copyright law, or authorize others to do so.
The CUA encourages use for non-commercial educational purposes and will not unreasonably deny any such permission request.
You retain your moral rights in and to the Article. This means that the CUA may not assert its copyright in such a way that would negatively reflect on your reputation or your right to be associated with the Article.
The CUA also requires you to warrant the following:
- That you are the Author(s) and sole owner(s), that the Article is original and unpublished and that you have not previously assigned copyright or granted a licence to any other third party;
- That all individuals who have made a substantive contribution to the article are acknowledged;
- That the Article does not infringe any proprietary right of any third party and that you have received the permissions necessary to include the work of others in the Article; and
- That the Article does not libel or violate the privacy rights of any third party.